Friday, May 17, 2013

When sleep eludes me

It happens.
One time too many.
Fall asleep with ease.
Wake up ready for a new day; not quite, it's only 2 a.m.
What to do, what to do?
Fluff the pillow.
Turn on to another side.
Close my eyes.
1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, 4 Miss...what was that?
Stretch out and lay on my back.
Close my eyes.
1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mi...
Eyes open.
Look around the room.
Yup, the same as it was when I went to sleep.
Okay FOCUS.
Flip on to my stomach.
Bad move.
Flipping on my stomach is me telling myself that sleep will not come.
Return to my back position.
Well, it's too early to do anything without waking up the household, so why not think about some of things that need my undivided attention that I haven't had the time...wait a minute...need to pee.
Don't open the lights cause, well, they say the light disrupts melatonin production which helps me sleep, even though I'm awake, but not really awake.
Shuffle back to bed; Fluff pillow; slip in, cover up, snuggle in...
1 Mississippi, 2 Mississi ... eyelids open. Sigh...
Okay, back to that list of things...so...the room feels kind of weird.
Concentrate.
Seriously, what was that noise?
Concentrate.
Maybe if I lie on my side, the thoughts will flow...
There...
Wonder what's on TV?
Concentrate.
Wow, at a time where I have my undivided attention, I can't keep it.
Monkey mind.  LOL!
That's not funny.
Well actually it is.
Wonder what time it is?
2:15 a.m.
This is going to be a long night.....

No comments:

Post a Comment