Friday, February 17, 2012

Fearless Friday

Phobias... for some, minor annoyances, for others debilitating.  You don't have to go far to find someone who has a phobia.  The list is countless and categorized. The intensity of the phobias vary. Why? Perceived threat, past experience or a natural aversion.  Whatever it is, phobias are real...to the phobic. I'm not afraid (excuse the pun) to admit that my phobias are water and heights. That's the short list.  Can't really explain it. Although I'd probably make a good study case. It's not from a lack of trying. I've approached my phobias from many angles. I've tried reasoning with it, overcoming it, fluffing it off, but I must sadly report that the battle of my right and left side brain continues.  I might add that the discussions are quite interesting.  Standing in a pool or on a bridge, I face my nemesis, and although my arguments are all well founded and reasonable, the attempts to act are met with an increased heart rate, a high pitched chattering in my brain that makes little to no sense and immobility. Yup, I panic.  Wish I didn't but the forces in this case are against me.  Now, I could go the rest of my life avoiding water and heights, don't know how some of my other phobias will work into this plan, but I've gotta say they really are bothersome. When I see others freely frolicking in water or climbing to incredible heights, I'm a little envious. I want that freedom to be able to explore and enjoy what the world offers. *Disclaimer, I'm in no way inferring that I will climb Mount Everest or swim the depths of the ocean.

What's peculiar is there are things in the lists of phobias I researched that I have a hard time understanding why someone would fear it, but then, they probably think the same thing of me.  At least I'm not a Phonophobia (fear of being afraid), hmmm, I may have to rephrase that ...

As I, and many others go about managing the phobias, there are some words of wisdom that may help..sort of.

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind, is fear." H.P. Lovecraft

"Courage is not the lack of fear, but the ability to face it." John P. Putnam

"Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is." German proverb

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself..." FDR


No comments:

Post a Comment